Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thirty Second Book Reviews

I think I've mentioned I don't usually take time to synthesize plots and characters after I've read a book.  I made it through grad school thanks, this is what I do for enjoyment.  But as a card carrying goodreads member I at least try to record an initial good/bad reaction so I can remember reading the book.  I also get asked for recommendations all the time, so having an idea about the book helps.  That being said, here is my thirty second book reviews for the past two months or so worth of books.  Probable spoiler alert.  Definite SPOILERS.

another piece of my heart - Jane Green - Ok, so I read Jemima J and the lot when I was in my '20s and enjoyed them.  This might be my counseling background, but I rarely enjoy "life journey" books anymore.  All I keep thinking is, for fart's sake, go to a freakin' therapist!  Your life would be much easier.  Also, I can't imagine that they wouldn't push to find out who the father was.  Just sayin'.  My dad wouldn't rest until he had that boy's balls mounted on his mantle.  (We didn't have a mantle.)

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake - Anna Quindlan - adored this book!  But can't really remember why.  I checked it out of the library of course, but I want to buy a hard copy to highlight and take notes on and then make my mom do the same, so we can talk about her insights and ruminations on having and raising a family and getting older.  And I never think that about books.  Usually I'm one and done except for a few favorites.

And, not to bore you, but the rest of my reading time was taken up by the first four books of the Song of Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones) by George R.R. Martin.  I'm not a newbie to the fantasy genre.  I read The Hobbit in the eighth grade (although I don't think I've read the rest of LotR), and I've made it through nine or so books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  Usually these are books I read so I can have conversations about them with my husband.  Plus I have watched the first two seasons on HBO (which I love) before starting any of the books (which I almost never do, but was dragged in) Here ya go -

Game of Thrones - Thoroughly enjoyed!  A new take (for me) on the seasons, a little bit of magic.  Interesting characters who are both heroes and villains.  What the what, he is killing main characters?  Crazypants!
A Clash of Kings - loved Tyrion as the hero and Joffrey as an a**hole.  Not as much fun as the first one.  Scared of the smoke vagina monster.
A Storm of Swords - Uhh, this is where I run out of patience in the fantasy genre every.single.time.  The wandering.  For goodness sake people, everyone head to the same city.  The endless wandering drives me batty.  Sad about Robb.
A Feast for Crows - wha??  I understand why half the characters are missing, but I didn't like it.  Thank god I started reading after the next book came out or I would be irate.

Getting to work on the fifth Game of Thrones and the third book in the Spellman series.  A friend turned me onto those and they are fun.  Also a new Jasper Fforde is coming out, so I'm on the (eagerly) waiting list for that at the library.  If you haven't heard of Jasper Fforde, go find him and read something.  Particularly Shades of Grey (NOT the same as Fifty Shade of Grey!).

What are you reading?  What should I add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment