Thursday, July 5, 2012

YOLO peaches

I've decided I'm going use the word peaches in place of bitches.  I don't have the cleanest mouth, but naughty words are much easier to say real quick then type and look at.  My mother might read this one day.  So go read the title again with that in mind and then I'll try to get to the topic.  Go ahead, I'll wait...

I'm about to go "turn down your crappy music and get off my lawn while you are at it" old person on you.  I have a handful of teenagers (mostly younger relatives) that are on my Facebook as well as a dozen or so young adults.  Now I'm not hip to all of the current lingo these days, but I finally got YOLO and sorry I'm not sorry under my belt (uhh, Skrillex is not some sort of tool? or a newly found type of dinosaur?).  I'm guessing they come from some music that I am too old to be listening to.  And youngins, I get it, I understand, I too lamented the out-dated, misunderstanding mindset of the older generation when I was your age, but apparently they were right because these are wrong and annoying.  YOLO in and of itself is a good concept.  Generations before you have celebrated it as "Carpe Diem," but fine, you are welcome to use different words.  But you are using it to define stupidity.  If you only have a certain amount of time, what you do with that time is more important, not less.  So using limited time as an excuse to do stupid things is, well, a waste of your time.  Because, after all, you only live once.  Not to mention most of the things you are doing while YOLO-ing it out on Facebook may even cut that time shorter.  Go ahead and YOLO some sky diving or other extreme sport if you need an adrenaline rush, but riding on the outside of a moving car, doing an extreme amount of drugs or picking fights with people bigger than you is a sad embodiment of a good concept.  After all, YOLO on your tombstone ain't gonna help much.

As for "sorry I'm not sorry," the millennials doth protest too much, methinks.  S,Ins (ha!  I needed an acronym.  And it spells sins.  How awesome is that?!) practically oozes "I want you to know how much I care about not caring about you, trifling peach."  Why don't you use some of that pretending-not-to-care energy and go YOLO backpacking through another country or running for office or picking up litter or something.  If you care enough to point out how much you don't care you still care too much.  


Right.  Anyone feeling old?  Got any "get off my lawn" stories?  Anyone like YOLO?  Heard anyone over the age of 24 use it sincerely?

No comments:

Post a Comment